Making Plantain Pancakes is another way to maximize your overripe (black) plantains, but you can also make use of the ripe (yellow) ones too.
Plantains are rich in minerals (potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous), Vitamins (A, B6 and C) and fibre and taste really good.
Plantain pancakes are simply delicious and nourishing.
Ingredients for Plantain Pancakes
– 3 Ripe/overripe Plantains
– 300 grm Plain Flour or Wheat flour
– 2 raw Eggs
– 3 to 5 tablespoonful evaporated milk or powdered milk or condensed milk
– 3- 7 Tablespoonful Sugar
– 200ml Water (more or less)
– Chili pepper
-1/4 cup of raisins
– 1 tablespoonful Onions (minced to taste)
– A pinch of Salt
– A pinch of grated nutmeg(optional)
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder or baking soda(to make it fluffy)
– 2 to 3 tablespoonful vegetable oil (for greasing the pan)
Tip: you can substitute the water in the recipe for whole milk
* Blend the plantains with a little water in a blender to get a smooth consistency
*Break the eggs into a wide bowl, add the milk, sugar and blended plantains, mix together using a whisk or a fork.
* Add the grated nutmeg (optional), the minced onions, pepper and salt.
* Gradually sift in the baking soda and flour and keep on whisking. The mixture would begin to thicken and look lumpy.
* Add the water and continue stirring until the pancake batter is smooth with a runny consistency, but not too watery.
*Add raisins and mix batter thoroughly
Leave the batter to rest for 15 minutes.
* Pour a little oil on a pan, enough to grease the pan; spread the oil with a brush to grease the whole surface and heat up until hot.
Tip: A non-stick pan is highly recommended for this.
* Using a ladle (soup spoon), scoop up some of the pancake batter and pour into the hot pan.
Gently tilt the pan, so that the batter can be evenly spread through the pan.
* Fry one side of the Pancake (on low heat) for a few seconds; as you begin to see air bubbles and the sides of the pancake turning dark; flip over and cook the other side.
Repeat this process for the remaining pancake batter. Always grease the pan before use.
Serve and Enjoy!
Tip : You can also puree all the ingredients in a blender and fry as written above.
Plantain Pancake can be enjoyed as a snack with a chilled drink or as a breakfast/dinner meal with a cool/hot beverage or served with cereal.