Stretch marks are streaks or stripes on the skin, especially on the abdomen, caused by distension of the skin from obesity, puberty, and during pregnancy. Ninety percent of pregnant women will get stretch marks around their abdomen, hips and thighs, and unfortunately, they seem to be genetic.
Stretch marks can make you feel self-conscious and uncomfortable about your appearance. Nevertheless, all hope is not lost. You can actually get a radiant skin naturally, without spending so much money or buying creams and drugs that are harmful to your skin. Here are 11 tips on how to make that happen:
Natural white sugar is one of the best natural remedies for stretch marks known for its exfoliating effects. Its coarse texture can help get rid of dead skin and minimise the unsightly appearance of these lines on your thighs, stomach, and arms.
- Mix a tablespoon of raw sugar with some almond oil and a few drops of lemon juice. Mix it well and apply it on the stretch marks and other skin areas.
- Gently rub the mixture on the skin for a few minutes every day before taking a shower.
- Do this for a month or so and watch your stretch marks become lighter.
- Aloe Vera
Known for years as a natural remedy for skin issues, aloe vera is effective in the treatment of many skin problems. Its healing and soothing properties can be used to get rid of stretch marks. There are a couple of ways to apply it.
- You can directly rub aloe vera gel on the affected skin area, leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse the skin with lukewarm water.
- Another option is to make a mixture with one-fourth cup of aloe vera gel, oil from 10 vitamin E capsules and oil from five vitamin A capsules. Rub this mixture onto the skin until fully absorbed. Repeat this process daily.
- Potato Juice
Potato juice contains vitamins and minerals that foster growth and restoration of skin cells. Because of these effects, it is not surprising that the juice of this vegetable has been used for eliminating stretch marks.
- Cut a medium-sized potato into thick slices.
- Take one of the potato pieces and rub it gently on the stretch marks for a few minutes. Make sure the starch from the potato covers the affected area.
- Allow the potato juice to dry for some time and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Olive Oil
For centuries, olive oil has been trusted by people as an excellent skin moisturiser because of its hydrating and cooling effect. It is packed with essential nutrients and antioxidants that heal a variety of skin disorders. For stretch marks,
- you can use this oil by heating it slightly in the microwave before applying on your skin.
- Apply it daily o the affected areas. There is no need to rinse the oil off since it is a great moisturiser that can keep your skin smooth and supple.
- Castor Oil
Castor oil, which is used in the treatment of a number of skin problems such as wrinkles, age spots, moles, dark spots, fine lines and pimples, can also be used to get rid of stretch marks.
- Apply some castor oil to the stretch marks and gently massage the area in circular motions for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wrap the area with a thin, cotton cloth. Using a hot water bottle or a heating pad, apply some heat to the affected area for at least a half an hour.
- Repeat this process daily for a minimum of one month to notice positive results.
- Lemon Juice
If you are bothered by nasty marks on your skin, then lemon juice can be quite effective in addressing this problem naturally.
- Rub fresh lemon juice gently onto the stretch marks using circular motions. Allow the lemon juice to soak into your skin for at least 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Another option is to mix equal quantities of cucumber juice and lemon juice and apply the mixture on the stretch marks.
- Egg Whites
Eggs are rich source of protein. Pamper yourself and give your skin that smoother and fairer appeal with the help of egg whites.
- Whip the whites of two eggs gently with a fork. Clean the affected skin area with water and then apply a thick layer of egg whites with a makeup brush.
- Allow the egg whites to dry completely and then rinse the area with cold water.
- Finally, apply some olive oil on the skin to keep it moisturised.
- Repeat the process daily for at least two weeks and watch for positive results.