“Being married is a beautiful thing”. Not so sure? Me too. This is probably because you know a couple who seemed to really be in love before they got married, you even attended their wedding, and two years after the wedding you hear that they are getting divorced. Or because you have read some terrible stories on social media about couples cheating after they got married or even domestic violence leading to the loss of life.
Now, I wouldn’t dare insult your intelligence by telling you these things do not exist. However, and in spite of these real issues, marriage remains a beautiful relationship, and there are still reasons why you should consider getting married; allow me to share them with you.
- Other people’s experiences should not influence your decisions. No matter how many horror stories about marriage you hear, there are innumerable beautiful stories about marriage and yours could be one of them. So even if other people have terrible stories to share, if you are in love with someone and you see yourself being with the person till eternity then you should go ahead and marry the person.
- It defines your relationship. If you are in a relationship, getting married makes it more meaningful and defined. This is because being a girlfriend to someone is usually considered as a casual relationship and there is usually a limit to the sacrifices the person can make for you or the things you can expect from the person but when you are married; your relationship becomes more defined and commitment more real.
- You have someone to grow old with. This might sound like a cliché, but at some point in time a lot of people are usually tired of being single and crave to have a partner. Odds are, you would want that too, while you might think you will have your friends, they might not always be available. But when you are married, you will have someone to share your growing old years with.
- Marriage gives you financial dependability. As a lady, being married gives you the opportunity to rely on someone financially. Now, don’t get me wrong! I am not talking about becoming a leach. At this stage, if you have a job you are likely to enjoy it better because you know that you have an alternative to get some money even if you don’t have the job. So, the fear of being penniless when you lose your job would not exist (especially if you have a generous husband.)
- You have a support system. In this case, if you have children, you would have someone to support you financially, emotionally and physically in raising them. You would also have someone to support you in other areas of your life too.
- Your life would be more meaningful to you. Marriage can add a lot of meaning to your life beyond material possession or even your job. This is because as a married person you get to be more responsible not just for yourself but also for your partner and children too.
- You learn more. Marriage can make you learn a lot of things more than you can ever imagine. If you have children, you would probably learn arts, by helping them with their assignment. You can also learn values like forgiveness, trust and commitment.
So, if you are a person that would love to get married or you are not so sure, don’t let the bitter experiences of other people scare you. There are some marriages that are beautiful and yours can be too.
Still have reservations? Feel free to share your thoughts with me.