In today’s society, helping your children attain a healthy weight goes a long way in building their self esteem and helps reduce depression. Being mocked by family members and peers due to dissatisfaction of their physical appearance can lead to further depression and loneliness which in turn may lead to health problems.
However, in certain cases being obese could be hereditary but this is not for parents to be relaxed about it. The following guidelines could help you to keep your kids in check.
- As parents, develop good and healthy eating habits such as eating fruits, vegetables, meals with less calories and healthy drinks. Kids as fast learners also learn by what they see and not what they hear.
- For some days in the week, set out time for your kids to engage in physical activities such as swimming, playing football, skipping, dancing, walking briskly, riding bicycle and many more
- Ensure that when your kids are eating, they are not watching TV or playing video games at the same time.
- Serve kids with reasonable portion of foods.
- Check the nutritional contents of food stuffs and drinks you buy for your kids. If the nutritional values contained therein will hamper your child’s weight, there is no need for the purchase.
- Kids love to have their way most of the time, it is important to discourage them from spending too much time watching TV or playing games.
- In addition, ensure your kids get good and quality sleep regularly.