Ikokore, also known as water yam, is a Nigerian delicacy from the Ijebu tribe. It is made from water yam and it is very tasty and easy to make. To learn how to make this delicious Ijebu meal, read on.
- 1 medium-sized water yam
- 5 medium-sized chunks of beef
- 5 medium-sized dry fish
- 2 tbsp of palm oil
- 2 tbsp. of grounded pepper and chopped pepper (atarodo)
- 2 tbsp. of crayfish
- 2 seasoning cubes of your choice
- Salt to taste
Steps on How to Cook
- Step 1: Cut, peel and rinse water yam.
- Step 2: Grate water yam carefully into a medium sized bowl.
- Step 3: In a pot, boil water and add pieces of meat, fish, and crayfish. Then add grounded pepper, seasoning cubes, 2 spoons of palm oil and salt to taste.
- Step 4: While the pot of water is boiling, take out fish, meat and other food particles.
- Step 5: Add a bit ofseasoning and salt to the grated wateryam in a bowl then mix.
- Step 6: Start adding lumps of water yam to the boiling pot.
- Step 7: Cover and allow food to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Step 8: Pour previously removed beef, fish and other food particles into the boiling pot of yam.
- Step 9: Sprinkle crayfish and chopped fresh pepper (atarodo) to add to its taste.
- Step 10: Serve with fresh vegetable or cooked stew of your choice.
When you are done cooking, don’t forget to share the food with your friends and loved ones.