Jackets belong in every petite woman’s wardrobe because a jacket is a go-to garment for both work and weekend wear. Wearing a jacket is also a great way to hide midriff and tummy bulges. To get the maximum style boost from a jacket, petites should look for the jacket features that work best for short women.
- Choose single-breasted jackets, rather than double-breasted jackets. Petites don’t need extra bulk in their clothing.
- Pick a classic jacket with a V-neckline. Classically styled jackets that form a V-neckline when buttoned flatter petites because they make us look taller.
- Buy fitted or semi-fitted jackets to create flattering, shapely lines. Petites can get lost in loose-fitted or oversized jackets.
- Make sure jackets fit in the bust. You should be able to button a jacket without any gaping or pulling across the bust line.
- Wear shorter jackets that end at the high hip and flatter most petites by creating the illusion of longer legs.
- Wear jackets with long sleeves or at least three quarter length sleeves. Short-sleeved jackets are fairly useless.
- Select Jackets made of smooth, rather than thick, bully fabric in order to create a longer, leaner line.
- Create the illusion of a slimmer and taller line by wearing jackets with vertical lines and seaming.
- Avoid patch pockets, no matter where they’re placed on jackets, to maintain the sleekest line.
- Maximize wearability and create a leaner, taller look by selecting jackets in solid colors without embellishment. If you love prints, you can always wear a print blouse, dress, or skirt with your jackets with subtle neutral designs, such as Glen Plaid or pinstripes, will also work for petites.