Cake in a sandwich toaster?
Yes, you read it right!
If you are interested in trying out this easy-to-accomplish feat, then, let’s get cracking!
* 1 cup Plain flour (128 grams)
* 1/2 cup softened Butter /Margarine/ Oil (113 grams)
* 1 tablespoonful Baking powder
* 1/2 cup Sugar( 8tbs or 100 grams )
* 1-2 Eggs
* 30 ml milk or water(more or less)
* 1 tsp. vanilla /strawberry extract or ground nutmeg(optional)
*3 tablespoonful Cocoa Powder/or melted chocolate (optional,but use it if you want a brown cake )
Note that you can make use of any cake recipe, such as the Banana Cake recipe or the Apple Cake Recipe. So let’s get started.
1. In a large bowl, combine the softened butter and sugar together and beat/mix until creamy.
2. Add the eggs and continue mixing; then add the essence or flavour of choice. Mix thoroughly.
3. Gradually sift in the flour & baking powder, mix and add the milk/water , bit by bit, and continue mixing until you get a light consistency, with no lumps.
If you are making the brown cake, sift in the cocoa powder with the flour.
4. Now, prepare the sandwich toaster by brushing the insides with melted butter or oil. Close it and preheat for 3 minutes.
5. Then scoop in the cake batter into each of the four wells of the sandwich toaster/maker.
Tip: if you want a cake with the shape of toast bread, then fill the sandwich maker to the square mark, but for a smaller triangular cake, fill only the smaller triangular wells.
6. Close the lid and leave for about 3 minutes or until lightly browned on both side.
Tip: To check if it is ready, simply dip a toothpick into the cakes; if the toothpick comes out clean and dry, you know the cake is ready, if not, you’ll have to leave it for an extra minute or until well done.
7. Now, remove the cakes from the sandwich maker, serve and enjoy.
The cake keeps well in the fridge for up to a week, simply pre-heat in the microwave and it’s fresh again.
Feel free to experiment and be creative with the recipe, you’ll be glad you did.
PHOTO CREDIT: Bhavna