The time when a woman stops having menstrual periods is not a disease or illness, but rather a transition between two phases of a woman’s life, marking the end of her reproductive life. Menopause is confirmed when a woman, misses her period for twelve straight months without other obvious causes.
Symptoms of menopause:
- Shorter/Lighter periods (irregular/skipped periods)
- Hot Flushes-a brief feeling of heat that may make the face and neck flushed, causes temporary red botches to appear on the chest, back and arms. Sweating and chills may follow.
- Sleep Issues
- Sex Problems-less estrogen leads to vaginal dryness which may make intercourse uncomfortable or painful.
- Joint and muscle aches and pains
- Mood swings
- Weight gain
- Bladder control problems
- Bone loss
There are many other range of symptoms that may show up in some women
Remedies to help ease the symptoms include:
- Dress lighter
- Regular exercise
- Avoid spicy foods and heat
- Supplements: Calcium, Vitamin E
- Vaginal Estrogen creams and tablets
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
Overall, lifestyle modifications can help reduce the symptoms usually seen. Let’s stay healthy as we cross this bridge gracefully.