This fast and easy recipe is cooked with unripe plantains which are known to be rich in iron.
- 3 unripe plantains
- A big bunch of Nigerian pumpkin leaves (or Frozen Spinach: 10 cubes)
- 1 medium fish (Mackerel)
- 1-2 teaspoons grinded crayfish
- 2 medium onions
- Red palm Oil: enough to colour the meal
- Pepper and Salt (to taste)
- 2 big stock cubes
Before you cook Unripe Plantain Porridge
1. Wash, peel and cut up the plantain.
2. Rinse and cut the pumpkin leaves into small pieces. If you will be using frozen spinach, allow to thaw just enough to let you cut them into tiny pieces. Leave to thaw completely and squeeze out the extra water using a sieve.
- Wash, cut and remove the fish intestines.
- Grind the crayfish and pepper.
1. Put the cut plantain in a pot. Add the chopped onions, stock cubes, fish, ground crayfish and pepper.
2. Add water to the same level as the contents of the pot.
3. Cook till the contents start to boil. Add the red palm oil and salt to taste. Cover the pot and keep cooking till done. This is when the plantain is tender to touch.
4. Add the vegetables, cover the pot and leave to stim.
5. Once it has heated up, stir, turn off the heat and leave to stand for at least five minutes before serving.
Serve with chilled soft drink or fruit juice.