The statistics for breast cancer in Nigeria reveal that it is the leading cancer scourge affecting women in this dear nation. This is a heavy burden weighing the nation down and the time has come for us to actively participate in the cause to fight cancer.
I understand that breast cancer is not a stigma; but a fight you and I must win collectively as women. Knowing that I am the backbone of my family, I cannot afford to give in to cancer.
Breast cancer is waging a war against our country. So, my first cry to Nigerians is cancer education, we need to get the masses educated; be it individual or organization, our government has to step in too.
When a woman is equipped with an in-depth knowledge on breast cancer, she would take the right and necessary decisions.
Every woman is at risk of having breast cancer, though the risk is higher in some women, for example, if there has been a family history of breast cancer.
A simple self-examination task, done regularly will go a long way in helping to diagnose and treat breast cancer in its early stages.
I understand the treatment for cancer is quite expensive for the average Nigerian woman, and this has resulted in the loss of precious lives.
There is, however, good news; you do not have to go through this alone. With help from the Breast Cancer Association of Nigeria (BRECAN), you don’t have to fight alone.
Woman, your diagnosis is not a death sentence; it is a medical issue that must be conquered. There are survivors in Nigeria. Many women have survived this, so take charge of your health and life today.
Here are tips to help fight and win this battle:
- Know your breasts status
- Report any strange discoveries to the hospital.
- Read widely about treatment options.
- Choose your preferred option quickly.
- Live life to the fullest.
A List of Radiotherapy Centres in Nigeria
- Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH)
- University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan
- Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital (ABUTH), Zaria
- EKO Hospital, Lagos
- National Hospital Abuja
- University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu
- Usman Dan Fodio University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto
- University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin
- Federal Medical Centre, Gombe
- Lakeshore Cancer Center, Lagos provides premium oncology services.
Do not succumb to this menace because of fear or lack of funds or ignorance, or the lack of a community where you can get help.
Together, we will conquer breast cancer!